In case you haven’t heard the latest in the job market – job ads are up, and application numbers are down.
What does that mean for you? Less competition and more opportunity to land your dream job!
Here are our tips to stay ahead of the competition and get your application noticed by hiring manager’s and recruiter’s (and the best part is, it’s not hard at all!):
- Read the job ad thoroughly and ensure you address the required criteria in your covering letter.
- Only apply to jobs that you’re genuinely interested in. There’s nothing more frustrating than calling an applicant and quickly establishing that they have very little interest in the position.
- Follow up your application to show that you’re genuinely interested in the position that you’re applying to.
- Do your research. Make sure you’ve viewed the company website and have a good, general understanding of what it is they do.
- Return messages. Sounds obvious I know, but you would be amazed at how many messages I’ve left for applicants recently that were never returned.
- If you’re unable to attend the interview, phone the recruiter/hiring manager as soon as possible. We’re always happy to re-schedule an interview if need be, however if you no-show or send a text message at the time you were due to arrive, it’s fair to say it won’t be viewed favourably!
If you’re doing each of these (very basic) things, I can confidently say you’re well ahead of many of your fellow job seekers!