One of the questions we’re often asked when we meet employers is where do we get our candidates from? Taking an innovative and forward-thinking approach to the recruitment process is something Jo and I are really passionate about, and when it comes to attracting our talent this is no different.
We’re not about to advise our clients that they need to spend thousands of dollars on print media in order to source the best talent for their vacancy, nor are we about to place an ad on Seek, sit back and simply wait to receive applications before commencing the recruitment process – how is that adding value to your own recruitment process? Plus, where’s the fun in that??!! If that was all there was to it, neither Jo or I would still be in the industry.
What Jo and I do love is the hunt for great talent. You may not realise this, but the ‘hunt’ starts well before we’re briefed on a role, and is something we live and breathe. You might be surprised by some of the ways we attract our talent, including;
- Industry networks and contacts i.e., Food & Wine, Community Services, Defence etc
- Drawing on our 30+ years of recruitment experience – we’ve met a lot of people in our time and we do our best to keep in touch with them over the years – just as we do with our clients!
- Referrals from former colleagues, clients and placed candidates
- Linked In (both by approaching people and receiving enquiries)
- Seeking referrals and recommendations from industry bodies
- Referrals from placed or interviewed candidates
- Recruiting friends, neighbours and anyone else we come across who we feel could be a good fit for our clients
- My Mum (she’s an ex Recruiter and recommends us to everyone she speaks to!)
Interestingly, one of our largest sources of talent is our Facebook page. While it’s still a work in progress, we invest a lot of time in our online presence, branding and content and have successfully attracted hundreds of potential candidates to our page, each of whom bring with them their own network of potential candidates. It really is quite amazing and the results speak for themselves!
To give you an example of the reach we can get with each post/job vacancy, some of the available positions we’ve posted have reached close to 3,000 people. That’s 3,000 people who probably wouldn’t have seen the vacancy otherwise. They’re generally ‘passive’ job seekers who are currently working and aren’t trawling Seek and other job boards. We also encourage people to ‘tag’ a friend in the field in which we’re recruiting and this has been a great way to reach a targeted audience and really increase the candidate pool for a particular role.
Take a look at our Facebook page here; facebook.com/blackmanmansfield
So why is this important for you to know? Because while you’re spoilt for choice with the number of recruitment agencies in the Adelaide market, the talent attraction methods being used by each agency vary greatly. Some are still focused on selling print media to employers. (How kind of you to fund the marketing of their agency!) Just kidding, I understand on some occasions print advertising has merit, however this is few and far between. More-often than not it’s the ‘put an ad on Seek with a closing date for applications, then sit back for two weeks and wait and see what comes through’ – where’s the value in that??
So, when you’re next looking at engaging a recruitment agency – whether it’s a temporary or a permanent position, I encourage you to have a think about these 3 things;
- Who is a good fit for my company based on brand, values and experience?
- What sort of candidate experience do I want the applicants for my job to have?
- Which agency will truly ‘hunt’ for the best possible person and will add value to my recruitment process?
So I hope I’ve been able to give you some insight in to what we do, and more importantly – what we do differently!
Thanks for reading!